Dogger Bank is the world’s biggest offshore wind farm under construction which contains 3 wind farms: Dogger Bank A, Dogger Bank B and Dogger Bank C. Each comprising 1.2 GW installed capacity. The field will provide over 4.5 million UK homes with renewable electricity from the wind – around 5% of the UK’s electricity demand.
The Dogger Bank project presented a unique set of challenges, primarily the need for robust, real-time tracking and communication across the vast expanse of the North Sea. Ensuring the seamless integration of the tracking system during both the construction and operational phases demanded a highly specialized and reliable solution that could withstand harsh marine conditions.
Vissim stepped in to address these challenges with its advanced software-based framework for Equinor’s Personnel & Vessel Tracking System (PVTS). This solution incorporated a comprehensive suite of services, including:
- The integration of personnel tracking hardware and onshore server equipment.
- Data interfacing from Dogger Bank’s suppliers and contractors.
- Connectivity with the existing telecommunications networks.
- Professional, support, and maintenance services.
- Installation of robust hardware.
- Extensive training.
The implementation began in March 2022, ensuring operational readiness right from the start of the construction phase, and is set to continue seamlessly into the operational phase slated for Q3 2023 for Dogger Bank A.
- Enhanced Surveillance: The deployment of two vessels equipped as sensor and communication hubs, providing critical surveillance and connectivity.
- Advanced Communication Systems: The establishment of AIS coverage, marine VHF, and TETRA communication systems, bolstered by MF/HF fallback options.
- Extended Communication Reach: Introduction of push-to-talk radio over IP for shore-based teams, facilitating clear and reliable communication.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Complete installation of the radio hardware suite, ensuring extensive coverage and functionality.